Time now: Fri Apr 19, 2019 13:29

[ 9 posts ] 
New jumbuck owner 

Post New jumbuck owner
And the clutch has just gone! So here I am looking how to fix it.

Fri May 18, 2018 17:57

Post Re: New jumbuck owner
Hi and welcome to the forum.
What are the symptoms with your clutch? I'm sure we can try to help you repair it.

Fri May 18, 2018 19:00

Can I get a workshop manual from here?

Sun May 20, 2018 15:30

There was never a workshop manual made available to the public. It was only for Proton main dealers. The gearbox and clutch are very similar to other models though. A Haynes manual for the Proton 1989-97 will cover that.

Sun May 20, 2018 20:53

Thanks for that I will seek one out. My jumbuck has done less than 25k, so perhaps the couple of longish journeys I have done since acquiring have had an effect from it's relative slumber. It started to vibrate when I changed down through the gears then that went away, then it started to get really stiff to engage the gears but only intermittently. But inevitably it failed and was impossible to engage gears at all without graunching. I've checked the clutch slave and no leaks and it operates the clutch arm, so my prognosis is it may be the clutch linkage that has given up, but I will have to split it to confirm. Do you know if the drive shafts simple to detach? Thanks again

Tue May 22, 2018 19:15

Yes, the driveshafts just lever out of the gearbox. It would be advisable to drain the gear oil first as you will lose it through the driveshaft holes otherwise. You may have to detach the hub carriers from the shock absorbers and angle them out in order to get the driveshafts clear of their sockets in the gearbox. You might get away with just turning the steering to one side then the other, but its normally pretty tight.

Tue May 22, 2018 19:22
Premier Member

Drives:
Jumbuck

Cheshire
I popped the shocks out of the hubs, and then there was no problem. Took a few good shoves on a pry-bar to pop the inner CVs out. If they don't come out too easily, try turning the shaft 90 degrees and trying again, repeat as necessary, this bit of advice helped me!

The gearbox loses less than a litre of fluid or so, when the shafts come out, so I just put a bowl underneath to catch the worst of it. Once you start moving the box out though, more may come out. When I took mine out with the engine, hardly any more came out. You can always shove some newspaper or rags in the holes.
Current cars:- Jumbuck, Wira, Gas Powered Jeep ZJ, Volvo V70, Mazda2

Wed May 23, 2018 12:10

I have eventually got the clutch out, what a job! The cause of my angst ,( apart from not being able to get the drive shafts off) Is the 4 springs that are set into the pressure plate have steel retaining clips, two of these have snapped off and the debris lodged itself between the pressure plate stopping it engaging.
When I got to the clutch plate I couldnt believe how small it is, I had a 1974 Triumph 750 motorcycle that had one about the same size.
This is a low mileage Exedy clutch, is there an aftermarket clutch that is recommended/better than the original. Thanks

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:43

The clutches are never usually any trouble. I think you have just been unlucky.
You can go up a size, to the 200mm diameter one, but you will need to re-drill the flywheel as the larger cover bolts are closer to the edge.

I have standard and 200mm clutches in stock. Won't cost much.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:51
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]