Time now: Tue Mar 19, 2019 22:42

[ 12 posts ] 
Non-starting Jumbuck 

Post Non-starting Jumbuck
Apologies if I've put this in the wrong part of the forum.

I've today driven 60 miles from home on a very hot day.....mostly motorway. After some 15 minutes of arrival, I went to start the truck, it turned over, but no go. It would appear to be lacking sparks at the plugs.

Some 18 months ago I had a coil pack go faulty. The engine still ran, but was out on one cylinder. The plugs were all crudded up and I guess that they were what caused the coil to fail. I replaced the coil pack and all was well.

Today the plugs were in a similar state....some 30,000 miles later. Clearly I should change them regularly.

My question is, could the fouled plugs, plus today's high ambient temperature cause the complete failure of the coil pack? Or should I be looking elsewhere.....the hall effect sensor perhaps?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 21:32

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
Post Re: Non-starting Jumbuck
hey, i dont think im gunna be of much use. but how are the leads? i found the leads on my 1.5s tend to need swapping once a year. although never had it not start. so not sure matey. but maybe something to have a nosey at to get you started
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Fri Jun 29, 2018 21:42
Profile WWW

Thank you for your reply. The leads look ok.....I've never noticed them arcing on a cold damp day. And the engine refuses to fire at all

Fri Jun 29, 2018 22:09

A complete failure to start would lead me to suspect one of the hall effect sensors. Either the one on the camshaft or the crankshaft. In reality the sensors themselves rarely fail. It is often the wiring that goes brittle and snaps. When coil packs fail, they normally die on half the cylinders first, not all at once.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 21:16

I think (maybe hope) it's the crank sensor. I can't get any resistance testing into the sensor, nor voltage when the engine's cranked. But that might be because I'm looking for such small voltage on a meter that will only read down to 200 v AC.

I have a BMW boxer bike and they are noted for cooking the Hall effect sensor wiring.

Thank you for responding.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 21:46

Drives:
Jumbuck
Most likely the crank sensor, Thankfully, they are easy to get to and easy to replace :)

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23
Profile WWW

Thank you again for responding.

While I can't disagree with your assertion about the sensor being easy to replace, I have to take issue with you over their availability.
eBay have them in the far East, but I can't as yet source one....old or new, from this country. I've even tried googling for a Mitsubishi one. I have to say that I'm getting rather despondent given that I'm stranded 62 miles from my home and that I use the truck for my work.

I'm increasingly at a loss as to know what to do next. I only hope that my diagnosis is correct and that it is the crank sensor at fault. I certainly have been unable to get any readings at all from my newly acquired multi-meter when connected to the crank sensor. However, I'm somewhat more familiar with the analogue type.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 14:35
Premier Member

Drives:
Jumbuck

Cheshire
I can supply working sensors from a Jumbuck, if required.
Current cars:- Jumbuck, Wira, Gas Powered Jeep ZJ, Volvo V70, Mazda2

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24

Its one of those funny things that can be quite evasive. Mitsubishi never used them. This was Proton's own add-on afterthought. They adapted the old 4G15 engine by adding these bits and pieces to it to allow it to work with their propriety EMS400 engine management system which was developed for them by VDO-Siemens in Malaysia.

I've also got spare second hand ones here if you need.

But I would double-check the wiring first. As previously mentioned, its more often the wires that break off rather the sensors failing. You don't need to test for voltage on the sensor, you need to test for continuity. It should be open circuit in its normal state and then it should close when some steel object is placed in contact (or extremely close) to the flat tip. Either that or the opposite way around depending on the design of the sensor.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 16:00

Well after getting the wrong sensor sent to me from a breakers, Vantastic very kindly supplied me with one at very short notice, which I fitted this afternoon.

The battery is near to the end of its worklife so I had to charge it for a while. The vehicle started straight away, but very soon ran lumpy and the engine management light was on. I have charged the battery some more, but the engine now misfires more than ever and won't run now.

I continue to charge the battery and have put the old spark plugs back in. I have double checked where I removed the coil pack & can see nothing I've replaced wrongly there. I did check both the cam and crank sensors wiring into the car for voltage at some point, but otherwise haven't fiddled with anything beyond coil pack, plugs and sensors.

Tomorrow I must go home..... seemingly not in my truck.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:28
Premier Member

Drives:
Jumbuck

Cheshire
Sorry to hear this is still misbehaving.

I too got stranded at the weekend as my daily "family" car decided to puke its coolant out and overheat. Looks like Ford decided that a plastic thermostat housing was a good idea!
Current cars:- Jumbuck, Wira, Gas Powered Jeep ZJ, Volvo V70, Mazda2

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:18

The Jumbuck was this morning driven the 62 miles from north Kent to its home in Sussex..... wonderful! I replaced the battery, plugs, coil pack and crank sensor....the latter being sent to me from Malaysia. So after three-odd weeks, it now starts first time and runs well. Were I to make a judgement on what was wrong with it, I'd say probably the sensor, although I'm sure the coils played a part.

The downside seems to be that the clock, radio, central-locking and interior light seem to have stopped working. I find that strange as I'd had the battery disconnected for most of the three weeks and could hear the door servos and radio beep every time I reconnected it. I don't normally use the remote locking and alarm as the key fob is falling apart and is held together with tape. But I did use it just prior to the clock, light, etc giving up the ghost.

Anyway, thank you for your help everyone.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 18:18
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]