Time now: Sun Jan 20, 2019 15:54

[ 3 posts ] 
So here's the Proton Aeroback 
Premier Member

Kent
Post So here's the Proton Aeroback
After two weeks, I'm still enjoying this slice of motoring history. Bought with 12-months MOT with a genuine 43k on the clock from two former owners. The last owner was apparently a fastidious retired engineer so he personally kept it in good condition.

As a precaution anyway, I've treated it to a new cambelt, tensioner, waterpump, coolant change, and new aux belts, plus oil and filter change. Thanks to se325919 for all his help with parts and advice. I've fixed the driver's door interior light switch and replaced the courtesy light bulb.

All the electrics work fine - front windows, cigar lighter, heater controls, etc. It drives beautifully and not how you'd imagine a 25-year old car to be. It does need a spot of welding underneath as per an MOT advisory but I know some honest old-skool mechanics who will sort that.

I've promised the former owner's daughter that I'll get it back up to spec (she was worried it would fall into the hands of banger racers!), and hopefully it'll live on a few more years unless Govt MOT rules force it off the road.

It's only intended as a stop-gap as it was cheaper than hiring a car, but who knows, I might keep it for longer?!

A few pics to get you drooling:
From the back
From the side:
Inside

All the best :-)
---------------
Proudly giving a new lease of life to a low-mileage 1993 Aeroback 1.5 SE.
---------------

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:57

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
Post Re: So here's the Proton Aeroback
Looks really very good. Bought one myself last year with 29k on the clock. If you enjoy trouble free motoring you won't be selling it.

Is this the one that was advertised in the Birmingham area?

Sat Jun 02, 2018 15:56
Premier Member

Kent
Post Re: So here's the Proton Aeroback
Hi protofan,

This one was on Gumtree in Kent. You're right - they're great cars. It's fun driving something that resembles nothing else on the road.

se325919 has been a star with parts supplies.

I never thought I'd enjoy this car so much. Ok it needs a tiny bit of welding, and I'm just replacing the window lifter rails as they've corroded but apart from that it's great.

I'll check things like brake pads just for safety but other than it runs well and is more comfortable than the 2010 Subaru Legacy Tourer I just sold.

I've already been asked by someone if they can buy it 'when you're finished with it" as they're looking for a small automatic to chug around the local area.

All the best.
---------------
Proudly giving a new lease of life to a low-mileage 1993 Aeroback 1.5 SE.
---------------

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]