Time now: Tue Jun 25, 2019 20:49

[ 15 posts ] 
Devil for punishment 

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
Post Devil for punishment
Hi all,

Have done it again and couldn't resist a proton 1.3 mpi that didn't look too bad, with fairly low mileage.

We have owned 6 of these over the years and fully agree with "Legendery reliability".

Drove it 100 miles home after purchase and took it for a full check and mot at my garage where they are very proud of their 50% fail rate to keep unfit cars off the road. He couldn't fail it!! Few advisories, mainly tyres, so it now boasts a new set.

Looking forward to driving one again and doing all the bits, very easy to work on, no electrics and immobilisers.

Will be looking for parts later, main one, drivers door.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31

Post Re: Devil for punishment
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another member who appreciates the older models. Where are you located?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 17:05

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
Hi , am based close to Oxford at the moment.

I would only consider the older models as I am not a fan of newer cars.
Not that there is anything wrong with them, it's just a personal preference.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 18:31

If you would like a car for spares, there is a white one in London available for £50. It was used in a silly prank video on youtube and got rather battered, but the guy says it still runs fine and I think it still has some MoT left. He is going to sell it for scrap metal it if nobody takes it in a few days. It would be a shame to let it go to waste when they are getting so scarse now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPEeXPeL8Q
That's the link to the video.

Did you buy the one from the island off Portsmouth with the alloy wheels?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 0:44

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
Yes I did, not thinking that my bid would win although they are not the most desirable model in the world.

I am quite impressed with the condition as was the mot tester.

Just hope it proves me right.

I only want a perfect drivers door not another whole car so won't be persuing the one in London but thanks for the tip.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 23:12

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
OOOOOOOPS

Caught a train yesterday to visit sjh29, newbie on here and drove my new 1.5 Proton home 120 miles.

29k on the clock and immaculate, only problem is the fuel filler pipe corroded, it isn't venting so massive splash back when filling. Fortunately we have a tame welder in the vicinity.

I now need somebody to cut up my bank cards!!!!!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:38

Wallsend-on-Tyne
 Re: Devil for punishment
=D> ..... I had a 1.5 Mpi hatch.

Now running (after the Savvy) a Jreg Toyota Carina2 1.6 saloon.

Absolutely no electronics/CAT malarkey = carbed!

Clockworks..works. :smt045

2sav
Image.... cruisin low @ TOYOTA CARINA2 '91Image

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:34

Nice to know you got the the maroon SE. Would love to see some pics if you get a chance. The fuel filler necks corroding is a usual problem. Unfortunately they are no longer available in the UK and costly to import. Welding might be an option if its not too far gone. I think I have a couple of decent ones stored away, but not mint. They are not holed, but have some surface rust so could do with a good treatment of Kurust and blathering of bitumen paint before being fitted.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
This car is mint and even smells new.

Hopefully will be seeing our tame welder today to get his opinion. How costly is costly on importing a filler neck when the car is so very good and cheap.

To buy a modern vehicle in this condition with this mileage would have cost north of 5k.

Have driven these old protons and have put 150k miles on each one over the years before deciding they were uneconomical to repair.

Thererfore don't mind the odd £'s in amongst to keep it on the road. :D

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54

The last one I got had to come from Denmark and was close to the £50 mark once the shipping was factored in. They were around £40 to buy when Proton could still get them, so not a huge difference I suppose.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 19:51

Drives:
Saga

oxfordshire
We've been working very hard preparing the 1.5 SE for it's mot this week.

The secondhand fuel filler neck has been Kurusted, stone chip painted and put back. The fuel tank was also removed, drained and rinsed out 17 times to get rid of all the rusty bits of filler neck which were residing in the murky depths. It's had a new timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, oil and filter change, new radiator and all hoses, water flush, all belts, battery and probably a few other things I've forgotten to mention.

It seemed a little sluggish on it's way to the mot station but put that down to not having been driven for 18 months.

It made my day at the petrol station when a man driving an Alfa stopped to take photographs and said it looked astounding.

Anyway it passed it's mot with just a few advisories the main one being a slightly binding osf brake which is about to be stripped and lubricated. Obviously the slight corrosion issues that most cars have, springs, exhaust etc.

So overall very pleased with the result. Now if I knew how to post photos here I would do so.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 16:52

Drives:
Satria

Burnley, Lancashire
grats on the mot pass. sounds a great car
RIP Scott - We will never forget you

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58
Profile WWW

Well done for keeping it maintained and keeping it on the road.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 0:43
Merda taurorum animas conturbit

To post images, click the link just under the reply box.....

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06
Premier Member

Kent
protofan wrote:
We've been working very hard preparing the 1.5 SE for it's mot this week.

Good to hear another 1.5SE is bumbling around :-) I'm still loving mine after two months. A few repairs like window lifter rails, cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and belts, oil/filter change, and air filter. It's still going strong. Only the outer CV gaiter has just burst, but that's getting fixed tomorrow.

My 1.5 automatic was a bit slow when I first bought it in May (even for an automatic) but a bottle of Injector cleaner in the tank did a nice job and it runs nicely.

Just need some welding to the sills and it'll be good for another few years at least with only 44k on the clock. Just wish it had aircon - trust me to get a non-A/C car in a heatwave summer!!!!

:drive
---------------
Proudly giving a new lease of life to a low-mileage 1993 Aeroback 1.5 SE.
---------------

Wed Jul 18, 2018 22:52
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]